Mary Aikenhead Education Australia
Marist Centre, 1 Dawson Street
BRUNSWICK VIC 3056
T: 03 9380 4906
F: 03 9387 9967
Mary Aikenhead Education Australia Advisory Council – click here
New South Wales
St Vincent’s College, Potts Point – www.stvincents.nsw.edu.au
In 1870, St Vincent’s Hospital moved from Potts Point to Darlinghurst, and a new separate school building was erected at the rear of the convent. These two developments enabled the Sisters to open a high school, the first school of its kind in NSW. In 1882, the school was re-named St Vincent’s College and, by 1884, had expanded to include boarding students. In 1886, the College was officially blessed and opened.
Mount St Michael’s College, Ashgrove – www.msm.qld.edu.au
The first and only Sisters of Charity secondary school in Queensland is Mount St Michael’s College founded at Ashgrove in 1928. At the invitation of the Archbishop of Brisbane, the Sisters established a convent at ‘Grantuly’, Ashgrove in 1925 and set up a primary school in rooms within the convent. The re-location of the primary school in 1928 enabled the opening of a secondary school Grantuly College. In 1941, a new building was erected and the school re-named Mount St Michael’s College.
St Columba’s College, Essendon – www.columba.vic.edu.au
The first secondary school founded by the Sisters of Charity in Victoria followed the commencement in 1896 of St Monica’s Primary School on Mt Alexander Road, Moonee Ponds. In 1897, the convent was established at 139 Buckley Street Essendon, and a secondary school, St Columba’s College, was opened and blessed in one of the convent rooms.
Catholic Ladies College (CLC), Eltham – www.clc.vic.edu.au
In 1897, the Congregation founded a second College in Victoria. In 1889, the sisters had commenced a primary school in Victoria Parade, Fitzroy. In 1897, the school was expanded with the foundation of St Patrick’s Secondary School in Victoria Parade. When land was needed in 1901 to build St Vincent’s Hospital, the school was demolished and re-opened in Grey Street, East Melbourne. In 1902, it was re-named (to avoid confusion with the Jesuit Boys’ College also known as St Patrick’s College, situated across the road). After almost seventy years at East Melbourne, Catholic Ladies’ College was moved to a totally new complex at Eltham in 1971.