On the 14 August 2018 the Trustees of Mary Aikenhead Ministries visited the Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute. Professor Bob Graham AO provided an overview of some of the research currently underway at the VCCRI:
– The therapeutic potential of spider venom peptides in cardiovascular disorders;
– Professor Sally Dunwoodie’s work on the potential impact of Vitamin B3 to reduce miscarriages and birth defects
– Dr Kazu Kikuchi’s research work with zebrafish and how they are able to repair their cardiac muscle and the potential implications for human heart disease;
– Professor Roland Stocker’s research into vulnerable plaque and stable / benign plaque indicates that if they are able to move vulnerable plaque to a stable plaque state then this could potentially prevent clots forming and therefore heart attacks; and
– Collaboration with the Garvan Institute of Medical Research to work jointly on the National Cardio Genomics Program which looks at the genetics linked to heart diseases such as cardiomyopathy.
The Trustees then had the opportunity to tour:
– the nearly completed iPSC facility within the Victor Chang Innovation Centre on Level 7;
– the room where a very powerful MRI machine will be soon arriving to assist with Professor Roland Stocker’s imaging of unstable plaques in the heart; and
– a presentation and tour of Professor Sally Dunwoodie’s laboratory and her groundbreaking work in relation to Vitamin B and birth defects.
Executive Officer, Mary Aikenhead Ministries